Sunday, September 14, 2008

Summer is over

Hi, My trip to Alaska was awesome. George and I stayed overnight in Seattle. George treated me with a limo ride to the Space Needle for a memorable dining experience. The meal was great but the view was the best! We enjoyed the view as the restaurant slowly circled the beautiful Seattle. We could see the ocean,the city lights, the outdoor sculptures at the museum below. Our waitress was as sweet as could be, considering she waits on tables of tourists all evening asking the same questions time after time. After diner we spent some time in the gift shop. Something George and I enjoy is collecting Christmas ornaments of the places we travel to. We found a replica of the Seattle Space Needle,bingo!! We returned to our hotel room in a Toyota Prius ( the real us). After a night sleep we had a early morning call as our flight to Sitka Alaska left at 6 a.m. Take off was on time, we had a short stop over and then to Sitka. My son and family were waiting patiently as we arrived. First thing we got excited about was all the eagles! Everywhere we looked not just one but dozens.Really beautiful. They have as many eagles as we have seagulls. My son took us on a quick get to know the town of Sitka and off to the Coast Guard Housing where they live. Colvin my grandson showed me all his toys. After we got settled then off to see Sitka on the water. My son Brandon had the boat ready for sightseeing. Sitka reminded me of Maine in so many ways but the biggest difference to me was size of the mountains, very, very tall and so majestic as they seem to come right out of the ocean. Oh, in July they were snow capped. We ate well, crab almost every day, fresh from my son's traps. My daughter in law Steph made crab quiche, crab cakes etc. We did some fishing, George and I did not catch much to speak of but enjoyed every moment on the boat. When we weren't on the boat we scoured the art galleries,we went to a eagle refuge where they rehab and house eagles that will not survive in the wild after an injury. We enjoyed a cute July 4th parade. I would guess just about every person on the island was at the parade. Hiking is great but wet, it rains most everyday. At 10pm it was still light out. Our stay in Sitka was a special time shared with my family. We may go back next year maybe in August,September when the fishing is best. We will also spend more time exploring Seattle. If you have any tips or favs in Seattle please share. Adios!

No comments: