Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kayaking in Harpswell

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Alaska in a few weeks and we plan on kayaking so we thought it wise to brush the dust off the kayaks and go paddling.
Saturday we decided to drive toward Basin Point and put in at the Dolphin Marina. Sun was shining a bit cool but nice and we start paddling over to Whale Boat for a picnic. Last year we did this same trip and had a wonderful time. Not so this weekend, just as we were rounding the point it looks like the fog is rolling in. We decide to paddle toward some other little islands which are closer and it looks like there are a few nice beaches to choose from to have our picnic. George is thinking that even if the fog does come in we could make it back to the marina safely. I am little nervous about this but decide to go along so as not to rock the boat. (no pun intended)While we paddle towards the islands I take some video clips that I think my grandson might enjoy. I spot a seal sunning on a rock but as we get closer he slides into the water. We keep paddling toward the smaller island but as we get close I notice these small islands are inhabited by a large variety of birds,and lots of them. Really kind of creepy, reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock movie "The Birds". We see some seagulls trying to steal little baby duckling's from the mother. Very distressing. I look back towards the shore and see threatening black clouds rolling in and the fog is rolling in the other way. We decided at this time it was time to paddle back and fast.
We were a bit disappointed that we did not make it to Whale Boat this trip but summer has just begun. We decide not to give up on having a picnic rain or shine.
So after loading the kayaks on the car we drove to Stover's Point. We enjoyed our picnic looking across the water to Bailey Island and the Cribb Stone Bridge and reflected on just how beautiful it is on the Coast of Maine and how lucky we are to live here.
My next post I will write about how pilates can benefit paddlers.
Till next time, enjoy the view.

No comments: